The Wise Laboratory of Environmental and Genetic Toxicology conducts state-of-the-art research aimed at understanding how environmental toxicants affect the health of humans and marine animals. This mission is accomplished through the pursuit of the following general objectives:
- Collect samples from various marine, aquatic and terrestrial organisms
- Conduct toxicology research to further our understanding of disease in marine organisms.
- Establish new cell culture models from marine organisms.
- Determine how environmental contaminant exposure may affect the recovery of critically endangered species including marine mammals, turtles and birds.
- Investigate how marine pollution may impact the health of marine invertebrates such as lobsters, oysters, and corals.
- Create a national resource and repository of marine cell lines and tissues.